A National Initiative in Juvenile Justice
The Balanced and Restorative Justice (BARJ) program is a national initiative that gives priority to repairing the harm done to crime victims and the community by defining offender accountability.
George Junior Republic in Pennsylvania is committed to the daily implementation of the BARJ principles for all adjudicated delinquent youth. The BARJ program operates on three principals; providing balanced attention to the protection of the community, the obligation of accountability for offenses committed, and the development of competencies to enable youth to become responsible and productive members of the community.
BARJ Principles Implementation
- Community Protection: While participating in community service and restitution projects, youth are carefully monitored to ensure that the safety and protection of the community are met.
- Accountability: Youth are held accountable for their actions by actively repairing the harm to individual victims and communities through monetary payment, performing community service, and attending Victim Awareness classes.
- Competency Development: In order to attain competency development, youth are taught new skills and work habits that improve their conflict management, empathy, and ability to work effectively with others.
Restitution and Community Service Programs
George Junior Republic in Pennsylvania engages youth in projects on campus and surrounding communities to provide opportunities for youth to fulfill their Balanced and Restorative requirements. These opportunities include, but are not limited to:
- Wesley Grange Buckwheat Pancake Dinner
- Grove City Rotary Club tree planting
- Hunter’s Park tree planting
- Pine Township litter removal
- Lawrence-Mercer Counties recycling
- Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix
- Grove City beautification
- Local park restoration
- United Way
- Grove City Historical Society
- Grove City Food Pantry
- New Castle City Rescue Mission
To inquire about the Balanced and Restorative Justice youth services program, contact George Junior Republic in Pennsylvania at 724-458-9330 x3131 and ask to speak with the BARJ Coordinator.